Nov 2, 2012

The Perks of being a Yelper

Hello nommers!

Mixology with St. Germains!
It has been way too long since my last post, but I had to take a sick day today from work, so I had a little extra time on my hands to write something up.  Since September, I have been writing reviews on Yelp for all of the restaurants that I have visited.  I've found it to be a great platform to share food tips and contribute to the food community.

The thing I have loved the most about yelp is that they appreciate their reviewers by hosting events for us.  So far, I have attended 3 events in total, and at each one I have had the opportunity to meet some amazing new friends, try some delicious food, and feel so much more at home in Northern California.

Yelp's Mobile Mash Up!
I have already posted about the big event that I went to, Yelp's Mobile Mashup, so I wanted to callout the two others that I had the privilege to attend recently.   The first was an Elite event which I was graciously extended an invitation to even though I am not an Elite member yet (I'm working on it!).  It was a global themed event at Arya in Cupertino.  The food was absolutely delicious.  They have Persian and Italian food (such a unique twist) so it really is a restaurant for everyone!  They also had a live belly dancer who was super talented.  I got to meet a ton of amazing new food friends and try some delicious new foods.

The other event which I went to this past week was actually my favorite event that I have attended.  It was an event at Barrelhouse in Burlingame to benefit breast cancer awareness.  At the event, there were 4 alcohol tasting sections (wines, beer, and St. Germains) and the St. Germain's station was a mixology station where you got to participate in a mixology class.  I brought one of my best friends, Erica (who was stuck in Cali due to the hurricane) along to the event and we had an absolute blast.  We got to try Blue Line pizza and have some delicious Izze sodas in addition to the alcohol tasting.  All in all, the event was amazing and it made a typically boring Monday into such a fun night out!


If you haven't looked into participating in your local Yelp community, I recommend you give it a shot.  Not only do you get to expand your knowledge regarding different restaurants and foods, but you get to meet a group of people who are just as passionate about food and discovering new things in cities as you are.  This community has made me feel at home.

If you need help getting started, feel free to add me as a friend on yelp: thenomdotcom.yelp.com

Noms,
Alyx

No comments:

Post a Comment